The role of technology in healthcare settings is becoming increasingly vital. As more hospitals and healthcare systems use tools like electronic medical records (EMR), every hospital needs nurses who understand both medicine and tech at an advanced level.
Informatics nurses play a key role in adoption and meaningful use of the electronic medical record (EMR) to improve health care quality, safety and cost-effectiveness. They assist clinical staff in partnership with IT services to ensure technology supports clinical practice transformation. With experience in nursing leadership and specialty training in health care informatics, education services are provided to super users and end users to optimize use of the EMR.
Roles of Informatics Nurses includes:-
- Serves as the liaison for health information technology efforts representing nursing needs.
- Incorporates evidence-based nursing knowledge into nursing informatics practice.
- Works with clinical and IT team members in evaluating the effectiveness of technologies and workflows that impact clinical users.
- Applies nurses’ efficiency to the design of systems and process.
- Acts as a change agent in the identification, development, planning, implementation, and value measurement of informatics strategies to support and integrate quality patient care and professional practice.
- Make sure the implementing systems and soft wares are user friendly.
- Provides critical analysis and evaluation of EMR systems and recommends revision of clinical systems, processes, and workflow.
- Combines knowledge of patient care, informatics concepts to support development of EMR systems.
- Promotes safe, effective, and efficient use of EMR.
- Monitors the environment, technology, and infrastructure to support the prevention of medical errors and adverse events.
- Provides technical assistance and consultation to nursing team whenever requires.
- Promote effective utilization of IT Resources to reduce duplication of work and workload.
- Train the nurses about EMR, Clinical systems and other supportive tools as per the requirement of nursing team.
- Initiates measures to overcome the resistance for adopting EMR and other information technology services in nursing.
Providing EMR access for new or promoted nurses as approved by head of the department.