A quality nurse is a very special health care professional who combines their expertise in quality, health care and management to make systematic polices and process improvements. Quality nurse is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, evaluating and documenting quality management integrated nursing wide program designed to monitor and improve the quality and appropriateness of nursing patient care and minimized the risk of nursing practice and the potential loss.
Roles of Quality Nurse includes:-
- Develops and assists with the implementation of policies and procedures for the quality assurance and improvement function of Nursing Department, to assure improved compliance with all accrediting agencies and regulatory bodies’ standards.
- Conducts incident investigations, including root cause, near miss and sentinel event.
- Analyzes and validates data collected from the units through various sources Uses the findings and conclusions to influence the revision of the total patient care plan or program/processes in collaboration with other health disciplines.
- Evaluates and revises program goals, policies, procedures, standards and objectives as necessary.
- Reviews quality assurance standards, studies existing hospital policies and procedures, and interviews hospital personnel and patients to evaluate effectiveness of quality assurance program.
- Design and conduct audit/quality improvement and/or research activities according to policies and procedures to improve patient care.
- Utilizes the results of audit/quality improvement and/or research activities to improve patient care and as learning experiences for staff Designs/ develops and consults on forms used for the medical record, ensuring compliance with all regulatory agencies and accreditation bodies.
- May oversee personnel engaged in quality assurance review of medical records or other assigned tasks Selects specific topics for review, such as problem procedures, drugs, high volume cases, high-risk cases, or other factors which affects quality of care and presents in various forums like QA meeting, In-charges meeting etc.
- Acts as staff and/or participating member of various committees; participates in Nursing and Physician staff meetings, for information gathering and consultation
- Assesses, plans, designs, implements, and evaluates clinical workflow and business processes.
- Continually assesses the education needs of staff, patients, and families. Plans and contributes to formal and informal education for staff, patients and families.
Performs Core Measure abstraction and data analysis, prepares reports for CON, Quality Department and Accreditation Bodies.