Catheterization Laboratory Interventional Radiology Services
Division of Interventional Radiology at Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute & Research Centre deals with minimally invasive procedures using image guidance.
State of the art imaging facilities here include a Siemens Artis Zee cath lab suite, fully equipped with latest software including 3- & 4-D DSA, Roadmap, cone-beam CT and Emboguide etc. It enables interventional radiologists to navigate wires and tiny tubes (catheters) through blood vessels/other ducts to treat various conditions non-surgically, without any incision, and mostly without need for any general anesthesia.
Various procedures that can be performed, but are not limited to, include:
- Hepatobiliary arterial procedures: Angiography, emboilzation, trans-arterial chemo-embolisation (TACE), trans-arterial radiation (TARE/Y-90 therapy), partial splenic embolisation etc.
- Hepatobiliary venous propcedures: procedures for portal hypertension & bleeding in chronic liver disease including Transjugular intrahepatic porto-sytemic shunt (TIPS), BRTO, embolisation of ectopic varices; portal vein embolisation to increase size of liver, trans-jugular biopsy etc.
- Non-vascular hepato-biliary procedures: biliary drainage (PTBD), stenting (plastic & metallic).
- Diagnostic & therapeutic procedures for various cancer & non-cancerous conditions including biopsies, FNACs, catheter drainages, ablations (RFA, microwave, laser), pre-operative embolisations to reduce bleeding during surgery etc.
- Whole-body vascular procedures including long-term venous access (PICC line, chemoports etc), dialysis fistula management, peripheral vascular disease, varicose veins & leg ulcer management.
- Non-surgical, non-incision treatment for enlarged prostate, uterine fibroids, varicocele, fallopian tube block, haemorrhoids (piles).
- Musculo-skeletal interventions including bone-biopsies, ablation of osteoid osteoma & other bone tumors, vertebroplasty, kyphoplasty, management of painful bony metastases.
- Palliative procedures including management of pain, terminal pleural effusions & ascites, chylous leaks in thorax/abdomen/urinary system etc.
- Identification and treatment of emergency bleeding from arteries or veins
This is by no means an exhaustive list and using the same sets of skills, instruments and machines with latest technology; similar procedures can be carried out in all organs of the body with fast patient recovery, minimal morbidity and reasonable cost.