Onco Critical Care Nurses
Onco-Critical care nursing is the field of nursing with a focus on the utmost care of the critically ill or unstable cancer patients following surgery or life threatening diseases. These nurses care for the patients, requiring more frequent nursing assessments and the utilization of life sustaining technology and drugs.
Working in an Oncology critical care unit requires careful assessment and monitoring of patient progress in order to watch for sudden or subtle changes in a patient’s condition that might require emergency intervention. Most patients in a critical care unit are physically unstable and require respiratory and heart monitoring as well as treatment adjustments. Onco Critical Care Nurses are responsible for managing medication doses, sedation and ventilator support also. They often encounter end-of-life or ethical matters that may involve withholding medical care. Onco Critical Care Nurses need to provide regular status updates to patients and their family members so that they can make informed decisions regarding treatment.
Roles of Onco Critical Care Nurse includes:-
In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of Onco Critical Care Nurse include (but are not limited to):
- Collects current symptoms, as well as a detailed patient history and then consults and coordinates with health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans.
- Assist patients to achieve their optimum level of health in situations of normal health, illness, injury, or through the process of dying.
- Manages advanced cardiac life support needs and stabilizes patients with intensivist and other team members, based upon nursing standards and protocol
- Contributes to care planning, involving clients, and demonstrates an understanding of clients’ rights to make informed decisions.
- Provides nursing care according to plan and undertakes clinical practice procedures and skills in a competent and safe way.
- Execute doctors’ orders for all assigned patients; safely and properly administer medications and treatments.
- Management of post-operative oncology patients with mnemonic, FAST HUGS BID.
- Provide Comprehensive nursing care to critically ill cancer patients, unstable cancer patients, Post-operative cancer patients, cancer patients on mechanical ventilation, dialysis cancer patients, cancer patients undergoing Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy, Post HIPEC or Post BMT cancer patients etc.
- Deliver end of life care utilizing all available resources, including specific protocols, and taking into consideration, Spiritual status, lifestyle, gender and cultural background of the patient and ensuring involvement with the patients family and significant others.
- Use a holistic approach to facilitate individual learning of patients and their families upon transfer or discharge.
Identifies learning needs with patients/families and teaches by adapting standard information to provide individualized and comprehensive teaching learning. Utilizes the resources as appropriate to meet identified patient, family and/or care give needs